For this project, our team was tasked with the preparation, coordination and review of approvals to address all aspects of the petroleum lifecycle, including early exploration (seismic surveys and exploration drilling), appraisal, development drilling, construction, commissioning and operations, through to decommissioning.
CDM Smith's work spanned a range of services, including:
- Strategic approvals advice,including early approvals strategy framing and identifying a pathway of optimal approvals and inputs into permitting schedules, including coordination across disciplines
- Environmental risk workshop facilitation and participation, including preparation of risk registers and environmental risk assessments
- Study support and modeling, including scoping and reviews, and synthesis of key conclusions in an approvals context. This work includes coordination and review of routine discharges (wastewater, produced water, cooling water), non-routine spill modeling and underwater noise assessments undertaken by discipline specialist companies
- Stakeholder engagement, featuring facilitation of targeted stakeholders and inputs into the broader stakeholder consultation process and strategy, including stakeholder mapping and analysis, and engagement with technical subject matter experts.
- Regulatory engagement, including engagement with regulatory agencies in a technical advisory capacity to contribute to effective communications
- Preparation of offshore approvals documentation, including reviews in support of submission to regulatory agencies
- Interfacing with multiple project team members, including the engineering lead, external relations, and environmental studies and approvals team members to coordinate integrated lead-time planning
In addition to this, CDM Smith is also providing environmental advisory support in the development of environmental submissions for new sub-sea drilling, construction and installation activities. This scope supports a process of continuous improvement through transferable learning from the most recent offshore environmental approvals across regulatory jurisdictions. CDM Smith's scope includes coordination and interfacing with cross-discipline teams, integrated planning and scheduling of collective team inputs, environmental risk participation, and preparation of environmental assessment deliverables.