CDM Smith has highly qualified Environmental Management System (EMS) specialists and Auditors who work closely with our clients to achieve the best outcomes possible for a project or organisation.
The development of bespoke management systems is a core business for CDM Smith. Systems can be developed in line with internationally recognised Standards such as ISO, IPIECA or EMAS or simply in terms of identifying business needs and writing a practical system that meets the needs of the organisation. Many organisations may not need afull system but may require assistance with compliance issues or with certain aspects of an exiting system or operation.
The publication of the updated ISO 14001:2015 in September 2015 means that organisations will be under scrutiny to develop, align and maintain existing systems with the Standard. CDM Smith has the expertise to work with clients to transition them through to this Standard by the 2018 deadline.
CDM Smith Australia Pty Ltd has achieved certification to ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015 and AS/NZ 4801:2001.
CDM Smith can provide the following core capability in EMS:
- Management system review and gap analysis against best practice and recognised standards such as ISO 4001, OHSAS 18001, AS/NZ 4801 as well as IPIECA and EMAS frameworks
- Management system development to recognised standards, for example, ISO 14001:2015 and/or integration with other certified systems such as ISO 9001:2015
- An ability to prioritise the development and implementation of the client's EMS
- Liaison with third-party certification bodies and attendance at third-party audits
- Corporate reporting services: external reports, internal performance reporting, key performance indicator development and environmental performance evaluation
- Internal auditing services as part of an audit programme or pre-certification audit
- Training services - aspects and impacts workshops, key performance indicator workshops, legal update workshops and whole of system overview training
- Assistance with the development of operational procedures, corporate policies, objectives and targets and aspects and impacts development.
Key Strategies for Success
- Involve project stakeholders early on in the planning process - this ensures all requirements get considered in the development of the documentation
- A comprehensive environmental gap assessment undertaken prior to the development of an EMS, the system will not be sufficient to manage an organisations operations
- Identification of integration and streamlining opportunities with QMS, OHS and other business systems already established.