Social Impact Assessment
Assessing social impacts for major development projects is a significant component of gaining relevant approvals and establishing a social licence to operate. A key factor influencing the success of a project is how it interacts with the community in which it operates. An insufficient understanding of social impacts can put a project at risk of long-term delay, active community resistance, stringent approval conditions and loss of reputation.
Our team has undertaken social impact assessments for a broad range of large and small projects, including for new and upgrading of roads, transport corridors, motorways, car parks, bridges, dams, shipping terminals and port expansions, marinas, tourism developments, correctional centres, hospitals, mental health accommodation, and aged housing and residential aged care facilities.
We can work with you to:
- Develop a social baseline which accurately describes the existing social context
- Engage with the community and key stakeholders to identify the community values and aspirations which will frame the assessment of project impacts
- Precisely define the actual ways in which the project will impact upon social values and assign a level of significance to such impacts
- Work with the proponent, government and the community to develop practical measures which mitigate identified social impacts
- Minimise risk by identifying key social impacts and mitigation measures
- Deliver social impact management plans and ongoing updates.
Through our depth of experience, CDM Smith can provide project proponents with a genuine understanding of social risk and how it can be most effectively managed.