Construction of a retention tank in Warsaw
This investment is one of the largest of its kind in Europe and it is connected with climate change. CDM Smith has been involved in water supply and wastewater management projects in Warsaw, providing comprehensive design and consulting services for many years. In 2016, we prepared pre-investment analyses and tender documentation of the central control system of sewage network in Warsaw. The next stage of cooperation with the Municipal Water Supply and Sewerage Company in Warsaw (MPWiK Warsaw) and the City of Warsaw was preparing design of the large retention tank and obtaining building permit for the investment. Then, CDM Smith cooperated with MPWiK Warsaw, supervising construction of the tank.
Construction included the following works:
1. Construction of a new sewage retention tank
Wastewater retention tank, with a total active capacity of 81750 m3, consisting of six segments with a capacity of 13625m3, each designed as an independent, two-part, rectangular reinforced concrete chamber, partially recessed in the ground, closed with a reinforced concrete ceiling.
2. Construction or reconstruction of buildings
Newly built facilities are retention tanks with integrated gate and flow meter chambers, e.g. on the pressure pipelines from Żerań and Nowodwory pumping stations, and pipelines.
The existing rebuilt facilities include a sewage pumping station with capacity of Qmax=10.85 m3/s, an inlet channel to the pumping station, pressure pipelines from the Żerań and Nowodwory pumping stations and circulation channels.
While designing the retention tank, CDM Smith developed the following documentation:
- Building design (multi-discipline) and a set of documents necessary to obtain a building permit decision
- Engineering-Geological Documentation for establishing engineering-geological conditions
- Framework concept for the implementation of the investment with a directive schedule of works
- Guidelines for the start-up of the investment together with a schedule
The retention tank will prevent street flooding during heavy rains in Warsaw.
Based on the above-mentioned documentation the decision no. 104/BIA/2016 of 27.04.2016 on the building permit for the retention tank was obtained, which became final.IDS-BUD S.A. with the registered office in Warsaw became the general contractor for the construction of the retention tank. The works started in January 2017 and were completed in February 2020.
CDM Smith Sp. z o.o., as part of its cooperation in the construction of the tank, performed an alternative construction design, detailed working designs and as-built design. CDM Smith was also entrusted with the coordination of design works and author's supervision.
The design documentation was developed based on the Concept, Functional and Utility Program (PFU) and Construction Project previously developed by CDM Smith. These were multi-discipline executive designs concerning, among others:
- Retention tank with integrated chambers
- Gateway chambers and flowmeter chambers
- Dn1600 pipes from the main pumping station 02.01
- Inflow pumping station
- External networks and pipelines
- Process water networks
- Rainwater drainage networks
- Site planning, roads, sidewalks and greenery
The retention tank was successfully tested in use in June 2020.
The retention tank will improve the wastewater system in Warsaw.
Did you know?
- The total capacity of the tank is over 20 Olympic pools.
- The new facility is one of the largest in Europe. Similar tanks are used in Barcelona and Copenhagen.
- The tank consists of 3 sections and each section consists of 2 segments. Each section is 100 m long and 44 m wide.